Skip to main content

10 Reasons Why You Are Not Losing Weight


Its a New Year and many of us have made Resolutions to lose weight this year. We've tried diets and exercise but they fat doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

Here are 10 reasons why you're just not losing that weight

1.You Skip Breakfast: Skipping breakfast may seem like a great way to save calories, but your body will actually hold onto fat because it thinks it's being starved. Research shows that  people who eat breakfast regularly lose more weight, So make sure to eat breakfast each morning to jump-start your metabolism. Don't just grab anything; include protein to give yourself sustainable energy and fibre to fill you up for hours.

2.You drink too many sweet and sugary drinks and not enough water: You watch what you eat, cut back on fatty foods and don’t snack between meals, but you drink large amounts of  alcohol, fruit juice, smoothies,  and soft drinks. Have you considered the amount of calories you may be drinking every day? Every calorie counts towards your daily intake, so don’t forget about the liquid ones!

3. You Overeat "Healthy Foods/Snacks" :You should  remember that although the food you’re eating may be healthy, it should still be eaten in moderation, as eating too much of anything will cause you to gain weight.

4. You don't sleep enough: You may think that cutting back on sleep  is great for your health and fitness. Not only does sleep deprivation affect exercise performance and endurance, but it slows down your metabolism, increases appetite and makes you more likely to give in to your cravings.  Lack of sleep can increase stress levels, which can contribute to weight gain.


5. You eat too little or too large portions: Eating too little sends your body into starvation mode, slows down your metabolism and makes you store more fat.
On the other hand eating too large portions even if its just once or twice a day will make you put on weight  cause the portion sizes many of us consume could actually be the equivalent of 6 or more standard serving sizes each day. 

6. You don't eat vegetables: Not only are Veggies healthy, they contain less calories and make you feel fuller for long.

7.You don't vary your exercise routines:  You may no longer be getting the most out of your workouts cos you've been doing the same exercises over and over.
No only does it cause boredom, you become less motivated and more likely to skip your workout. This will  diminish the intensity and results of your training. meaning that will burn off fewer calories.

8. You overcompensate after workout sessions: We are familiar with the temptation to reward our workouts with an edible treat (well, you've just burned off all those calories, right?), however, it may be that  you are actually undoing all the hard work of your workout. 
Truth is, we often overestimate the calories we burn through exercise, you may even be taking in more than you have actually worked off, leading to weight gain rather than loss.

9.You are not consistent with diets/ exercise: Perhaps even worse for your metabolism and waistline than eating too much or too little is flirting regularly between the two extremes. 
If you regularly take up and abandon  diets or go starve yourself one minute and binge the next, you will play havoc with your metabolism and cause your body to store more fat. 

10. You have a medical condition: Some medical conditions such as Thyroid problems and hormonal imbalances can cause you to gain weight and make it very difficult to lose excess pounds. Also, hidden food allergies or intolerances can make it difficult to lose weight. Furthermore, while your medical condition itself may not cause weight gain, the side effects of certain medications may be the culprits.so make sure to speak to your doctor about this if you are struggling to lose weight


By Oma Nnabuihe

Comments

  1. I bet u all this applies to me especially no's 1- 7.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Where Have All The Gentlemen Gone?

I was inspired to write this post after a recent occurrence that had me and my girlfriends literally bullied off a queue by young men. While I recognize that  Chivalry  is as good as DEAD in this generation, I've met a good share of courteous men in my lifetime. Ladies, have you ever had a man walk through a door ahead of you and lets it slam close behind him RIGHT IN YOUR FACE?  Or a bunch of guys walking beside you for minutes while you obviously struggle with a heavy box or bag you are carrying? I'm sure 90 percent of you will say yes. Don't get me wrong .I'm not saying women are weak and always need help from men. All I'm asking is a little politeness from the male-folk. There's a myth that "Nice Guys don't get the girl". That's ridiculous cause They MARRY the girl. Being Courteous is not only attractive to women, its a great way to show support. The little things matter most to women; ...

Stop hating on people

The other day an old classmate found me on facebook and added me. I had lost contact with most of my High school friends and was glad to reconnect. In less than 48 hours he wrote this on my wall "I like you as a person even in secondary sch.(Ojo High) but I just discovered through fb(facebook) that you're so full of yourself. Don't forget that true fame and greatness comes from above". This is someone i haven't spoken to in over 9 years! How do you judge someone so harshly by going through their facebook page for 48hours. I responded to the post and said this "Wow! Good to know. Stanley the Judge. You will be judged in like measure. Thank you so much" I was stunned that anyone would act in such a manner but it made me think and reevaluate my life. I looked back at the years and saw the struggle with my faith, my career and everything; the way i had consciously taken hard decisions that had found favour with God and made my life better. 2011 was a uniqu...

MY EMOTIONAL HANGOVER

An emotional hangover is what you feel when you try to let go of an emotion you have held onto for longer than you should. This weekend, I experienced my first (and last, i hope) emotional hangover. We ended our relationship more than two years ago so that we could move on with our lives. He wanted to get married, I wanted to pursue a career, and our life paths seem to go in different directions. We remained close friends and as often as possible I prayed for him to find a good wife. Well, he did get married this weekend and I was there. Truth is had a hard time making a decision to attend the wedding cause I felt it was out of place for me to. I decided to go cause as friends it was the right thing to do. When I got there I did not know what to feel  or how to act till I saw the couple dancing down the aisle. One part of me said; it’s your loss girl! Another part said, just be cheerful for him. I was truly happy for him. The time preceding this was not exactly the best...