Skip to main content

Cheating :Can Your Relationship Survive Infidelity?



Cheating can happen in any relationship, no matter how perfect it seems from the outside.
It could rock or ruin a relationship.
It is absolutely possible to get over infidelity with honesty and communication and the key to
moving on is for both partners to be committed to doing so.

Why do people cheat?

People have individual and personal reasons for cheating on each other . We cannot conclude that everyone who cheats has a wandering eye as there are usually deeply rooted psychological reasons at work.
As humans, our needs differ and at different levels. Infidelity happens when a need at a deeper level is not being met within the relationship.

This doesn’t mean that it’s your fault if you’ve been cheated on. And it doesn’t always mean that it’s your errant partner’s fault either, just that the relationship isn’t filling both of your needs at that moment.
It’s not as simple as you doing or not doing A, B, C and the result being he/she cheated. Maybe it’s something from your partner’s past that’s created a need to cheat that you don’t know about.

Also it’s important to realise that there are many definitions of relationship so you need to make sure you’re on the same page as your partner and that what’s important to you – perhaps fidelity – is as important to them. 

Can you get over Cheating?


Communication and Honesty is the key once infidelity has been uncovered.


Both partners have to be open and honest, talk through what happened and find out exactly why the other person cheated.

A lot of people who get caught cheating just want to brush the whole thing under the carpet like it never happened and that is very dangerous step to take.


The key at this stage is that the person who has cheated doesn't shut down or keep quiet but properly explains what has gone on and why it has happened.

It is also important, that the person who has been betrayed gets all the anger they feel out of their system. Otherwise the infidelity will be like a festering sore which neither partner can move on from.

How to deal with Infidelity

Give yourself time to breathe and think. Don’t take any action in anger; you would most likely regret it. 

Being on the receiving end of infidelity can be a real blow to your self-confidence. 

So you need to know that it’s not necessarily something wrong with you, it’s something wrong with the relationship so try to remove yourself from the equation.

If you’re dealing with infidelity there are many factors to consider, such as if there are children involved. It makes it harder to walk away from the relationship.

A lot of people can’t bring themselves to forgive their partners and end up as paranoid wrecks who are clinging to a relationship they cannot trust in any more.

But she’s also seen people become paranoid wrecks, clinging to a relationship when they aren't able to forgive and trust again.

My advice is to immense yourself in positivity and prayer. Do those things that increase your positive energy and if you intent to forgive your partner, do it together. It would build love and trust in the relationship again.


By Oma Nnabuihe

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where Have All The Gentlemen Gone?

I was inspired to write this post after a recent occurrence that had me and my girlfriends literally bullied off a queue by young men. While I recognize that  Chivalry  is as good as DEAD in this generation, I've met a good share of courteous men in my lifetime. Ladies, have you ever had a man walk through a door ahead of you and lets it slam close behind him RIGHT IN YOUR FACE?  Or a bunch of guys walking beside you for minutes while you obviously struggle with a heavy box or bag you are carrying? I'm sure 90 percent of you will say yes. Don't get me wrong .I'm not saying women are weak and always need help from men. All I'm asking is a little politeness from the male-folk. There's a myth that "Nice Guys don't get the girl". That's ridiculous cause They MARRY the girl. Being Courteous is not only attractive to women, its a great way to show support. The little things matter most to women; ...

Stop hating on people

The other day an old classmate found me on facebook and added me. I had lost contact with most of my High school friends and was glad to reconnect. In less than 48 hours he wrote this on my wall "I like you as a person even in secondary sch.(Ojo High) but I just discovered through fb(facebook) that you're so full of yourself. Don't forget that true fame and greatness comes from above". This is someone i haven't spoken to in over 9 years! How do you judge someone so harshly by going through their facebook page for 48hours. I responded to the post and said this "Wow! Good to know. Stanley the Judge. You will be judged in like measure. Thank you so much" I was stunned that anyone would act in such a manner but it made me think and reevaluate my life. I looked back at the years and saw the struggle with my faith, my career and everything; the way i had consciously taken hard decisions that had found favour with God and made my life better. 2011 was a uniqu...

MY EMOTIONAL HANGOVER

An emotional hangover is what you feel when you try to let go of an emotion you have held onto for longer than you should. This weekend, I experienced my first (and last, i hope) emotional hangover. We ended our relationship more than two years ago so that we could move on with our lives. He wanted to get married, I wanted to pursue a career, and our life paths seem to go in different directions. We remained close friends and as often as possible I prayed for him to find a good wife. Well, he did get married this weekend and I was there. Truth is had a hard time making a decision to attend the wedding cause I felt it was out of place for me to. I decided to go cause as friends it was the right thing to do. When I got there I did not know what to feel  or how to act till I saw the couple dancing down the aisle. One part of me said; it’s your loss girl! Another part said, just be cheerful for him. I was truly happy for him. The time preceding this was not exactly the best...