Skip to main content

6 Friends Every Woman MUST Have

Some pals serve as excellent sounding boards for sage advice. Others just wanna have fun. Still others are your right arm or your been-there, done-that point of reference. 

Why is it good to have an arsenal of different friend types in the little black book of your life? “Because no single friend can meet all your needs,” says Marla Paul, author of The Friendship Crisis: Finding, Making and Keeping Friends When You're Not a Kid Anymore. 

Here, six friends you’d be lucky to have.
                        


1. The Cheerleader
Who she is: Whether she’s an old pal or someone you just met, her hallmark is her glass-half-full outlook.

Why you need her: Who couldn't stand a little rah-rah from time to time? “This kind of friend is like a sunny spring day,” says Paul. “You feel lighter and happier being with her.” Not only can she bolster your mood, she’s also the one to nudge you toward something you want to try—applying for a new job, getting a new hairdo—that you might otherwise fear.


2. The Advice-Giver
Who she is: A colleague, a mentor, your mother—or just the smartest, most even-keeled person you've ever met—who’s the best advice-giver you know.

Why you need her: “She’s the wise one,” says Megan McMorris, editor of the essay collection P.S.: What I Didn't Say. “Nothing shocks or surprises her, and no matter what you come to her with, she won’t judge you.” Instead, she’ll be there for you—after the breakup, when you’re shopping for a new home—with steady, smart counsel.


3. The Oldest/Childhood Friend
Who she is: The one who’s known you since junior-high sleepovers, if not since you were both in diapers.

Why you need her: Quite simply, because she gets you. “You don’t have to explain yourself to your oldest friends,” says McMorris. She knows where and how you grew up, knows your parents and siblings, and gets the references to schoolteachers or hometown hangouts. Plus she tolerates your, shall we say, quirks, such as your frequent lateness or your sarcastic humor.


4. The Mommy/Neighborhood Friend
Who she is: The stroller-walking buddy, playgroup mom or next-door neighbor who can get your kids off the bus in a pinch.
Why you need her: Having other moms who are either in the same parenting trenches as you or just ahead of you (and can tell you what potty training or the first day of kindergarten is really like) makes you feel less alone. Also, says McMorris, “you need a few friends who understand that now that you’re a mom, your schedule is harder to pin down.” It’s just easier to socialize with other women who understand the disruptions of naptime and soccer practice.


5. The Guy Friend
Who he is: Your brother, your cubicle-mate, the boyfriend you broke up with so long ago he’s become your friend.
Why you need him: He tells you what life is like on the other side of the gender divide. It’s a generalization, of course, but on the whole, guys make it easier to pick up the friendship where you left off, and just hang out without rehashing the past. Plus, a male friend may be able to “help you be more assertive and selfish, which are not necessarily bad things,” says Paul. Oh, and did we mention that he can help you unravel the mysteries of your significant other’s odd behavior?




6. The Honest Friend
Who she is: Anyone you know who’s a total straight shooter, from your big sister to your college roommate.
Why you need her: Because sometimes you really do want the truth about whether that haircut is awful or those jeans make your butt look big. And it’s not just the trivial stuff: Your brutally honest pals, says McMorris, will give you the straight scoop on, say, whether your boyfriend is not treating you the way you deserve. On the flip side, “if your honest friend is enthusiastic about something in your life, you know it’s good.”

Culled from womansday.com








Comments

  1. I love the positive outlook of your blog.it's like a breath of fresh air! Pls keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. Appreciate your comment. i'd try.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Where Have All The Gentlemen Gone?

I was inspired to write this post after a recent occurrence that had me and my girlfriends literally bullied off a queue by young men. While I recognize that  Chivalry  is as good as DEAD in this generation, I've met a good share of courteous men in my lifetime. Ladies, have you ever had a man walk through a door ahead of you and lets it slam close behind him RIGHT IN YOUR FACE?  Or a bunch of guys walking beside you for minutes while you obviously struggle with a heavy box or bag you are carrying? I'm sure 90 percent of you will say yes. Don't get me wrong .I'm not saying women are weak and always need help from men. All I'm asking is a little politeness from the male-folk. There's a myth that "Nice Guys don't get the girl". That's ridiculous cause They MARRY the girl. Being Courteous is not only attractive to women, its a great way to show support. The little things matter most to women; ...

Stop hating on people

The other day an old classmate found me on facebook and added me. I had lost contact with most of my High school friends and was glad to reconnect. In less than 48 hours he wrote this on my wall "I like you as a person even in secondary sch.(Ojo High) but I just discovered through fb(facebook) that you're so full of yourself. Don't forget that true fame and greatness comes from above". This is someone i haven't spoken to in over 9 years! How do you judge someone so harshly by going through their facebook page for 48hours. I responded to the post and said this "Wow! Good to know. Stanley the Judge. You will be judged in like measure. Thank you so much" I was stunned that anyone would act in such a manner but it made me think and reevaluate my life. I looked back at the years and saw the struggle with my faith, my career and everything; the way i had consciously taken hard decisions that had found favour with God and made my life better. 2011 was a uniqu...

Missing Ireland

Ending the year 2025 missing a place I had hoped to call home for me and my family, beautiful Ireland.  It’s been just over 4years since we left but it still calls out to me sometimes. I’m not one to look too much at the past but I created the fondest memories there.  Here’s one video from several I have that I would say triggered my reminiscing.