Skip to main content

CURRENT FASHION TRENDS HAUTE?? OR GOING TOO FAR....



Our mothers used to wear knee-length dresses, now we wear thigh-length dresses.

 Go to popular fun spots in Lagos like the Silverbird galleria and the palms,  you will see that the younger generation have grown bolder because they now wear bum-length dresses.  Some even wear jeans with their underpants hanging out.

With this trend and path we are taking I wonder what kind of fashion will be left for the generations to come. In all of this keeping up with latest fashion trends, what would you say is going too far? Or better put, crossing the line.

You may say what line? Who put the line in place?

Our generation is different than theirs so let them let us be. But really truly you know that this is a problem that we need to address soonest.

Though I’m not a fan of comparing past and present generations, I can say that dressing morals were much more acceptable in our parent’s time. Ironically they taught us what we know directly or indirectly so what are we talking about.

Fashion magazines, television, and all forms of media have made this indecency appear cool. Sometimes it feels like they are out to recruit believers.
Many have become slaves to fashion as some have to money. Breaking personal values all because they want to follow latest fashion trends.
The African culture and morals have been thrown into the wind.

The other day at the Silverbird’ s  30th anniversary celebration, I arrived early with two friends wearing my beautiful LBD (which is knee length by the way). We pick great seats only to have this young lady clad in a Top (lace top, meant to be worn with jeans, pants or leggings) come sit in front of us.
The sight was truly offending because it barely covered her bum and she would stand up severally to greet people. Good thing I decided to refocus my attention to the event.

But let’s talk candidly, how will you feel when your 13 year old decides to go to the movies or family gatherings wearing bum shorts?

Will you feel like a responsible parent who is doing their job right?
Or, would you feel like you lost control over them somewhere along the line.

How can we reduce this fading necessary moral? How can we instil the discipline to dress appropriate into the younger ones?

I remember a few years back when some legislators in Nigeria wanted to make a law to curb what they call indecent dressing and the public’s anger was flared up.
Some said that even those pushing the law, dress indecently to so they had no right to propound such a law.
Others said that it breaches the individual rights to freedom of expression.

Do we have to go as far a making a law? What is the responsibility of family in addressing this issue?
As I Christian, I believe that these are morals that should be solidly instilled in our children before they grow up and leave the house.

I personally believe that when I dress up to leave home, I must be comfortable. I will not wear I dress that I have to pull down/adjust every 3 minutes.  I make sure that when I sit down, I have my thighs and underpants covered (that’s why they are called underpants) covered.

Is it cool to walk out of your house half naked?

What is going too far? What is crossing the line?

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Where Have All The Gentlemen Gone?

I was inspired to write this post after a recent occurrence that had me and my girlfriends literally bullied off a queue by young men. While I recognize that  Chivalry  is as good as DEAD in this generation, I've met a good share of courteous men in my lifetime. Ladies, have you ever had a man walk through a door ahead of you and lets it slam close behind him RIGHT IN YOUR FACE?  Or a bunch of guys walking beside you for minutes while you obviously struggle with a heavy box or bag you are carrying? I'm sure 90 percent of you will say yes. Don't get me wrong .I'm not saying women are weak and always need help from men. All I'm asking is a little politeness from the male-folk. There's a myth that "Nice Guys don't get the girl". That's ridiculous cause They MARRY the girl. Being Courteous is not only attractive to women, its a great way to show support. The little things matter most to women; ...

Stop hating on people

The other day an old classmate found me on facebook and added me. I had lost contact with most of my High school friends and was glad to reconnect. In less than 48 hours he wrote this on my wall "I like you as a person even in secondary sch.(Ojo High) but I just discovered through fb(facebook) that you're so full of yourself. Don't forget that true fame and greatness comes from above". This is someone i haven't spoken to in over 9 years! How do you judge someone so harshly by going through their facebook page for 48hours. I responded to the post and said this "Wow! Good to know. Stanley the Judge. You will be judged in like measure. Thank you so much" I was stunned that anyone would act in such a manner but it made me think and reevaluate my life. I looked back at the years and saw the struggle with my faith, my career and everything; the way i had consciously taken hard decisions that had found favour with God and made my life better. 2011 was a uniqu...

MY EMOTIONAL HANGOVER

An emotional hangover is what you feel when you try to let go of an emotion you have held onto for longer than you should. This weekend, I experienced my first (and last, i hope) emotional hangover. We ended our relationship more than two years ago so that we could move on with our lives. He wanted to get married, I wanted to pursue a career, and our life paths seem to go in different directions. We remained close friends and as often as possible I prayed for him to find a good wife. Well, he did get married this weekend and I was there. Truth is had a hard time making a decision to attend the wedding cause I felt it was out of place for me to. I decided to go cause as friends it was the right thing to do. When I got there I did not know what to feel  or how to act till I saw the couple dancing down the aisle. One part of me said; it’s your loss girl! Another part said, just be cheerful for him. I was truly happy for him. The time preceding this was not exactly the best...